Monday 18 April 2011

Asking for a little help.

I've been digging around in the "technical" bits of the blog and noticed some strange things.

Firstly, a lot of people have been reading it. that's a bit of a surprise in itself as I only really started to keep a blog for my own use. It was just to be a record I could look back on when I start to go senile.
Some people that know me best think that started a while back...

The other thing is the number of different countries it has been read in, I've had to turn to Google to find out where one or two of them are!
Hands up, who could instantly point to Moldova on a map? (Moldovan readers are excluded!).

This brings me to the point of this short entry.

There have been quite a few readers who are based in China. This puzzled me for a while, which just goes to show that the senility might just be setting in.
The name of the boat might just be something to do with it. Doh!

So, to any Chinese visitors, I'm making an appeal for help.

Yuan Hang. The name of my boat. What does it mean?
I've tried online to get a translation, the closest thing I can find is something like "Sail Far" or "Long Voyage".
If I'm way off with my translation please let me know. The name came with the boat and I'm not going to be changing it. To know for sure it doesn't mean "Son of Titanic" would be great!

Second thing that's been a puzzle is the Chinese symbol on the sail, this one....


After looking at enough Chinese characters to almost get me speaking the language, I've asked elsewhere and have been told that it's the symbol for "Water", but that someone has made a cockup and it's a mirror image!
It seems that someone had the transfers made up wrongly, and it's been there for the best part of 30 years unquestioned!

So, Chinese speakers attracted by my Chinese named boat, I ask for your comments.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea Ken, look forward to seeing any replies. SR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, no help here on the Chinese front....
    I posted on a Chinese forum asking for a translation, it seems the name means "Sailing Far Away".

    I wish!

    ReplyDelete