Friday 10 June 2011

I'm on the Tyne!

No sign of fog anywhere....

After all the excitement of Scarborough, I headed for Runswick Bay. Sailed all the way there, then dropped the hook with the bay to myself. Beautiful, peaceful spot.
Next day was to be 35 miles to Tynemouth, then another 7 upriver to St Peters marina, just a mile from the city centre.

Started well, with enough wind to have to reef a little, but after sailing along the coast to have a look at Staithes, I headed straight across Tees bay to the Tyne. An hour later the wind decided not to co-operate and dropped to almost nothing.
Doing 1 - 1.5knts wasn't going to get me there until the next day, but the forecast had been F3-4  with 5 at times, so I hung on....
It did eventually pick up, and with 2.5knts showing I was happy enough.

That was until the squall hit.....

I saw it coming for half an hour, had time to get the waterproofs on, stow anything that wouldn't like getting wet, and reef the sail. Then it hit.
From F2-3 it went to F6 and started to hail. After 15 mins it eased and I was a quarter of a mile further out to sea than I had been. Another 15 mins and it was back to F3 and sunny.

It was a long day, but passing close to Souter lighthouse meant I was almost there.
About a mile short of Tynemouth the wind died away, so engine started and off up the Tyne I went.

Halfway up the Tyne anyway.....

I ran out of petrol. Due to all the engine problems, I'd forgotten to top up in Scarborough.
Spent the night tied up at the back of a scrapyard, which could have been worse, as the petrol station was just a 10 min walk away!

Tank topped up, I headed up to St Peters marina and a weekend off!

No comments:

Post a Comment