Thursday 14 July 2011

Runswick Bay to Scarborough.

After all the excitement of yesterday, with big seas and dragging (floating!) anchors, I was hoping for something a little easier today.
It's about 20 miles from Runswick Bay to Scarborough, passing Whitby on the way. Although a pleasant spot, I'd decided against going into Whitby and getting as far south as possible as Ali was still feeling under the weather.



We left the bay under sail, but very slowly, and, with the tide ebbing against us, the pot markers along the route were keeping up with us! Engine on again...
The wind picked up a little later, and the foul tide eased, so we could do some sailing.
Whitby was soon behind us, the destination for a Dutch boat that gave a friendly wave, a welcome sight on a fairly boat-free stretch of coast.



I was still having to tack as we passed Robin Hood's Bay and progress was slow.
As we neared Scarborough the wind had changed and we were pushing along at 4knts, aiming to reach the harbour around high water.
The last couple of miles flew by as the wind increased to a good F5 and the tide got behind us, at one point I  saw 7knts on the GPS!

Near the castle I radioed in to let Neil at the marina know I was back, then dropped the sail. As we motored in Ali made her first appearance in the cockpit, still feeling very "green".
She was just in time to see a porpoise ahead of us, then a little later a group of 3, it looked to be 2 adults and their offspring. Ali loves dolphins, but this was close enough to make her day!
All that was left was to beat the daytrip boat into the harbour and tie up.
I'd remembered that Scarborough Yacht Club bar opens on a Wednesday evening, you'd be forgiven thinking I'd planned to arrive on a Wednesday.....

The usual friendliness of Scarborough showed itself again when I asked someone where I could buy petrol, almost without thinking he offered to take me in his car, so this time that job was done early!
Eddie made us welcome in the club in the evening, giving me use of their computer to check the weather forecast. It didn't look too clever, and with Ali still needing a break, I decided we'd have a few days "holiday".
The plan was to do the chip shop, beach, rock and all the tourist bit before leaving on Sunday.
To be honest, after the last few days of sailing solo, I needed a break as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment