Tuesday 25 October 2011

That's all folks!

That's all the sailing for this year anyway.

It's that time of year again, cold, wet and either dark on the way out or on the way back in again. That, plus my health problems have forced the decision. No more until the weather picks up next year.
I'm supposed to be doing this for relaxation.....

I've been to the boat and taken the sail off, it needs a few repairs, and these are much easier at home than on the boat in winter!

Sometime in the next few weeks I'm going to try and stick the VHF antenna up the top of the mast, it's been OK on the pushpit but any extra height will improve the range.

Not sure what to do about the self-steering. Being wooden, it needs work on a regular basis to keep the weather out. I've not used it much at all this year. I'd like an electric autohelm, but the cash isn't available, so it'll probably get a bit of TLC as well.

I've tweaked the mounting for the wind generator, it's a little more solid now but I still need to clamp the main upright to the pushpit rail. I'm going to get some stainless steel bar and make a couple of custom "U" bolts for the job.
The galvanised "U" bolts I'm using on the support struts will be swapped for stainless in a couple of weeks.

I've taken the upholstery back home, plans are to re-cover it, maybe make some cushions for the cockpit. Also on the inside, the cabin walls are to be covered with some thin carpet, which should make things a bit more cosy.

So, no sailing, but plenty to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment