Tuesday 17 January 2012

I'm still here!

It's winter. No need to explain more than that....

Some jobs are progressing, slowly.

The damaged (both by me and the weather) part of the self-steering has been re-made. It'll be bolted back on nearer to the time it might be needed. I'm still thinking about building a replacement windvane steering system, this one is big and bulky, not a pretty thing to look at, and the weather keeps getting into the wood.
If the Doc can stop the pains in my back, I might just attempt it this year.

The upholstery replacement is coming along. The new foam for the V berth has come from a kingsize memory foam mattress, it's been cut to shape and the material to cover it has arrived. Ali now has her orders!
This pic is from the first "trial fitting".



I've got hold of some normal foam for the rest of the cushions, they rarely get sat on, so no need for the memory foam there.

The lining of the hull with carpet is spreading around the boat, might be a couple of days work left, but looking good.



Still plenty of jobs to do. The transducer for the fishfinder is hanging off the transom, so needs a screw or two.
The VHF antenna still has to go up the mast, but the route for the cable has been decided, just have to do it now!
The engine control cables seem very stiff, so they can come off for inspection and possible replacement.

I could go on.....


2 comments:

  1. i'm enjoying your blog very much. Very interested in the junk rig. Thinking about buying a bilge-keel cruiser (Vivacity) - going to see it this afternoon. Have only ever been crew or passenger on sailing boats, would like to say I could sail solo before I pop my clogs (my h is a v good sailor and always takes command).
    Sorry to hear about your arthritis etc. Have myself been rejuvenated by eating a fruit and veg supplement which made such an astonishing difference over time that I joined the company as a distributor - could send you details if you are interested. In my opinion we all suffer a form of scurvy in the modern Western world - our food is mass produced and depleted... Putting the right stuff back works wonders.
    Anyway, I used to work in Kings Lynn, and know the S Lincs area and the Wash and N Norfolk of course, very well. Lovely place. Now live in N Kent (lots of muddy tidal creeks). So your adventures sound very tempting.
    We have lots of gaff-rigged boats here, I am going to start researching all that side now too.
    Thanks v much for your blogs. They really are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments, it might just give me the nudge I need to write something new!
    I picked a junk rig as it's so easy to use (and looks a bit "different"). Gaff rigs always look like "proper" boats should, I'd be tempted if I had a bit more strength...
    Wouldn't mind details of the food suppliment, I've tried lots of things, might just give it a go. You can email me at kjps@ntlworld.com

    ReplyDelete